Thursday, September 15, 2016

Are you shaking yet?

Konban wa! Finally I get to write something because yesterday, I was just too tired.

It's funny that I spoke about earthquakes the day before, because that was the first thing I experienced when waking up! I was still lying in bed, half asleep, when it felt like someone was gently shaking my bed. Before I could realise what it was, it was over. I thought I was maybe still asleep or hallucinating, but Essi told the same thing later so I know for sure that I was not :) But no reason to be worried, as it was just a tiny thing. 


Hello again, Shibuya


Laurien and I wanted to go to the ward office yesterday to get our student discount on the health insurance, but it was raining like crazy all morning, so we postponed it until next week. Still, I didn't want to stay at home, so when the rain got better, I went to finally get a cellphone plan in Shibuya. It took very, veeeery long (it was a busy day), but I finally got my new Japanese phone number! And that means I won't get lost anymore because I can use Google Maps on the road :D

Also, I finally found the statue of Hachiko *-* (If you are not familiar with the story, you can read about it here)

It's always very crowded around the statue so I couldn't get the perfect shot yet

More Hachiko at Shibuya station
Almost every vending machine in Shibuya looks like this

Rainy Shibuya

Unexpected feast


Having received my SIM card after hours, I returned home just in time for our dorm's welcome party the resident assistants organised for us. That is, they not only organised it, but were also busy cooking all evening. A welcome opportunity to try real, fresh, homemade Japanese food :)

Soba noodles with lots of veggies

Takoyaki - octopus balls. I even tried a half one... well, the dough is good.

I was wondering how we would all fit into the lounge when there are 50 people living in the dorm, but there have not been so many people. It was a good time chatting, watching others playing "Mafia" (a game similar to "Werewolf" in Germany - we just were too late to join) and trying all kinds of Japanese snacks which were definitely different, but yummy! During the party, there was another small earthquake by the way, which I didn't even notice...




 Getting in touch


After the party and a fun Skype session with my family, I didn't have much time to sleep because I had to get up for our last orientation event. It was also the first day of the Tomodachi (friend(s)) program, which basically means meeting new people, both international and Keio students, and doing some organised or unorganised stuff together. You had to register for it in advance, but for some of us, it didn't work out so we could also join spontaneously. We were divided in groups of five to six people and had lunch together in the cafeteria. In my group, there are three other exchange students and two Keio students who are all very nice. :) After the lunch, several groups planned to go bowling, but somehow it all dissolved. But next week, there is already a plan to visit Tokyo Tower - which is right next to Mita campus, but I haven't even been there yet!

Instead, I got to Harajuku to finally get myself a new pair of running shoes. I didn't bring any with me, because my old ones are already too used. But I didn't want just any shoes - I was keen on getting a pair of those Haruki Murakami mentioned in his book "What I talk about when I talk about running", by Mizuno (obviously not the same model). They are very comfortable (the shop assistant had the same, hehe) and I can't wait to try them - hopefully it gets cooler outside soon!

Tadaaa

The shopping assistant also was doing some small talk and even complimented me on my Japanese, which could get you proud, but you always have to remember that compliments are merely made out of politeness, and you are supposed to reject them to show humbleness. Thankfully, I remembered that in the last moment of my reply, so it went like "Oooh, thank you... but noooooo, it's really, really bad! I'm just a beginner!" 

Since I was in Harajuku, the biggest shopping district in Tokyo with the fanciest styles you will see around, it was an obvious thing to explore the area a bit. Or a bit more.

Main shopping street (or one of them)

The sweetest, most colourful shops ever...

... and the creepiest ones

Now I know where I have to go when I get homesick

I wish I could have taken photos of/with the dressed up people as well. Maybe some time when I am not alone there :)  

They really have every kind of shops there: All styles of (crazy) clothing, merch, international products, food (I finally found Matcha KitKat!)... and they are suddenly all speaking English! With all the foreigners there, you don't even feel as if you are in Japan anymore.

What stands out most, are the cartoon shops like "Kiddyland". Despite its name, I didn't see any kids there. But many floors full of cute cartoon stuff, including Studio Ghibli, where I spent the most time ;D they are even playing the original soundtracks and displaying the movies on large screens. A real fan paradise...

Even Halloween is cute here

They actually have better Disney stuff here than in London. Orders, anyone? ;)


So many Totoros, and they all are screaming "Adopt me!" :(
Raaah!


Who can say No to this cute No-Face?
Smile!

Now that I've spent almost all my evening in Harajuku, it's getting late on the other side of the globe. Tomorrow, I have an interview with my academic advisor to decide on the courses I will be taking. Hopefully, I will be able to set up a schedule very soon. Until then - good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment